Sunday, April 30, 2006

Myspace makes the web ugly

I used to think that you would never find a more wretched hive of scum and ugly pages than Angelfire circa 1997. Then recently I started poking around some friends' pages on Myspace. Now I realize that none of them are web design folk. But really, do Myspace pages have to look so ugly? Is it a requirement that you throw all sense of layout and color out the window just because you can? It's so pervasive that I'm starting to wonder if Myspace itself doesn't force users to create nasty looking pages. I mean, I know I'm only using a canned Blogger template for this blog, but jeez, at least it has a palette that doesn't look like it was designed by a mangy dog dipped in paint.

And these are pages by people whom I know to have some artistic sense --- they can decorate their house, they dress nicely, but their Myspace pages look like crap. What is the deal? Can anybody point to a Myspace page that looks halfway decent? Does such a thing exist?

No comments:

www.flickr.com